Baked Eggs in Tomato Sauce
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3/4 cup diced onion
14 1/2 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon fresh minced rosemary
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or more to taste
3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low to keep the water hot.
- Use 2 tablespoons of butter to grease six 1/2 cup ramekins or custard cups, then place them inside a large baking dish or roasting pan.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over a medium flame. Once melted, add the onions. Cook about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer about 8 minutes, then add the hot sauce. Remove from heat.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce into the bottom of each ramekin. Reserve the leftover sauce for garnish. Break an egg into each ramekin, and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Carefully pour boiling water into the bottom of the baking dish, so that it comes about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 18 to 21 minutes, or until the whites are firm, but the yolks are still soft.
- Serve the baked eggs with the remaining tomato sauce, a sprinkling of parsley and crusty bread or buttered toast.