Egg and Eggplant Slammer
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 cup hummus
1 medium (approximately 1 pound) eggplant, peeled, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick Canola oil, for frying
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup diced white onion
1/2 cup seeded and diced Hothouse or Persian cucumber
1/3 cup diced cherry tomatoes
Hot sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Add pita bread, and warm in oven.
- Pour 1 1/2 quarts cold water into a medium saucepan. Carefully add eggs. Turn heat to high and bring to boil. Turn off heat, and let sit for ten minutes. Transfer eggs to ice water, and cool to the touch. Peel the hard-boiled eggs under cool running water, dry with paper towels, and thinly slice.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, lemon juice and salt.
- For the eggplant, pour enough oil to coat the bottom of 12” stainless steel skillet set over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add as many eggplant slices as will fit in one layer without overcrowding the pan. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until they are well browned. They will suck up the oil at first, but after a few minutes, they should purge some of it. Remove slices, and drain on paper towel. Add just enough oil to cover bottom of the skillet again. Repeat process until all of the eggplant is cooked.
- Remove pita from oven. Top with a few slices of eggplant and egg. Spoon a bit of the tomato and cucumber salad on top, followed by hummus, parsley, and hot sauce, if using.