1/2 cup water
4 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. granulated sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 happy eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Powdered sugar for dredging
- Combine water, butter, granulated sugar and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add flour. Stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Add eggs, one a time, mixing with a hand mixer after each addition until egg is incorporated. The mixture should be shiny and smooth when all the eggs have been added.
- Add vanilla and baking powder and mix for 2 minutes longer.
- Fill a deep, heavy pot with 3-4 inches of oil and heat to 325°F. Carefully drop spoonful’s of batter into the oil and fry until puffed up and brown; turn over and fry until brown on second side.
- Remove beignets with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Shake in a powdered sugar-filled bag and serve immediately.