Fruit and Nut Ginger Cake
Butter for cake tin
1 cup black molasses
6 whole cloves
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 happy eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. EACH ground allspice, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 1/4 cups port
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a deep 8-inch cake tin.
- Combine molasses and whole cloves with 1 cup boiling water. Leave to cool; strain out cloves.
- Beat butter and sugar until mixture is pale yellow and no grains of sugar are left. Beat in eggs. Sift together flour and spices and fold into butter mixture.
- Slowly add three-fourths of the molasses mixture and fold together until batter is wet but not too liquid, adding more molasses mixture if necessary to get the correct consistency.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tin and sprinkle with walnuts and raisins. Bake for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 300°F. and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Cool cake, remove from cake tin and store in an airtight container. Pour ¼ cup of the port evenly over cake each day for 5 days.
- Leave for another 2 days before serving. If left for longer, “feed” the cake another ¼ cup port every few days.