Lemon Blueberry Waffle Sandwich
1/2 cup raw almonds
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or coconut oil), melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup (sugar-free or regular)
Non-stick cooking spray
2/3 cup blueberries
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, divided
Fine sea salt and black pepper, for seasoning
4-8 spicy sausage patties, cooked (you may substitute for turkey patties, chicken sausage or beef jerky)
- Preheat waffle maker. (This recipe is based on an American-style waffle iron, not a Belgian-style waffle maker.)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Place the almonds in the bowl of a food processor, and grind into very fine crumbles. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the ground almonds, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, almond milk, butter or coconut oil, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey and maple syrup until combined. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Batter will be thin.
- Lightly grease the waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray. Ladle a scant 1/2 cup of batter into each well, sprinkle about 2 heaping tablespoons of blueberries over the batter, and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. (Cooking time will vary based on heat of waffle maker and desired texture of waffle.) Keep the cooked waffles warm on a sheet tray in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the waffle iron with more non-stick cooking spray if necessary.
- As waffles cook, place a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook eggs as you like (ie. over easy, sunny side up, scrambled, etc.), seasoning with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cut waffles in half (or quarters for smaller sandwiches). Place a sausage patty on the bottom waffle, then top with an egg. Place the other half of the waffle over the egg. Serve with maple syrup.