Rainbow Veggies Ramen Bowls
- 1 (.4-.5 ounce) package dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated or minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 2 tablespoons Tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 small sweet potato, spiral cut
- 1 small zucchini, spiral cut
- 1 large purple carrot, spiral cut (reserve smallest pieces for topping)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 4 large The Happy Egg Co. Free Range Eggs, hard- or soft-boiled, cooled and peeled (see notes)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup edamame, thawed if frozen
- 1 sheet nori, finely cut into thin strips
- Toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
Garlic salt to taste Snipped fresh chives and chopped fresh parsley (optional toppings)
- Place dried mushrooms in a medium bowl and pour the boiling water over the top. Let soak for 15-20 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and chop. Reserve the soaking liquid.
- In the meantime, place the oils in a 4-quart pot and heat over medium-high until shimmering. Add the white part of the scallions to the pan along with the ginger and garlic. (Reserve the green parts of the scallions for ramen topping.) Sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant and softened.
- Add the reserved mushroom soaking liquid and vegetable broth to the pan. Stir well and add in Tamari and mirin. Bring to a simmer.
- Place the miso paste in a small bowl and add about 1/2 cup of the broth to the bowl to help dissolve the miso. Add the miso mixture back to the rest of the broth. Continue simmering for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and return broth to pan; discard the solids.
- Add the spiral-cut vegetables to the pot and simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and add baby spinach. Stir and allow the spinach to wilt for a few minutes.
- Using tongs, divide the veggie noodles between four bowls. Ladle the broth over top.
- Cut each egg in half and add to the bowl.
- Top with red bell pepper, edamame, reserved carrot pieces, nori, toasted sesame seeds, and a sprinkle of reserved green parts of the scallions. Serve immediately.