Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 3 large bell peppers, any color
- 1 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3/4 lb sweet potato, cut into ½-inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 6 Happy Eggs
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375° F. Cut each bell pepper in half from top to bottom, hollow them out completely.
- Place the peppers onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper cut side down. Roast the bell peppers until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and leave them on the baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once warm, add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Then, add the sweet potato, chipotle powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir everything together to combine, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, cover the pan with a lid, and let everything simmer for roughly 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove the lid and cook off any additional liquid if any remains. Add the black beans and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Increase oven’s heat to 400°F. Fill each bell pepper with the sweet potato mixture, about halfway full, leaving a small divet in the middle as a placeholder for the egg.
- Crack each egg into a small dish, then carefully add an egg to each pepper. Repeat this process until each bell pepper cup is filled. Season each cup with a pinch of salt and pepper and place into the oven.
- Bake until the egg white are set, and the yolk is still a little runny, about 12-15 minutes. For a fully cooked yolk simply bake a bit longer.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and garnish with a bit of freshly chopped chives and enjoy right away!