Vanishing Pumpkin Ginger Crème Brûlée
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 vanilla bean
2 inches fresh ginger minced
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
6 happy egg yolks (slightly beaten)
8 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Put cream in heavy bottom sauce pan with minced ginger and scraped vanilla bean. (Do not turn heat on yet. You want the flavors to start to meld.)
- In a bowl mix pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, salt, allspice, cloves and eggs.
- Turn on heat for cream. Let it get warm, but do not boil or it will cook the eggs.
- Slowly add the cream to your bowl while whisking the pumpkin egg mixture. When incorporated, run the mixture through a sieve discarding the ginger and vanilla bean.
- Place mixture in 8 ramekins.
- Take a roasting pan. Place ramekins inside and fill with water most of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake until the outer part of the custard is solid but the middle still moves…slightly. Should be 20 to 25 minutes, but check – it might go to 35 minutes depending on the oven.
- When done let cool and put in refrigerator.
- Before serving, take the brown sugar, 1/8 tsp ginger, ¼ cinnamon mix together and sprinkle on top of the custard. Scorch with kitchen torch until sugar mixture becomes crispy, but not burnt.